12.06.2009

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin & Anna Kraus


During college I worked as a nanny, which is why I am surprised I never managed to pick this book up before now or see the movie. For a while I was really opposed to anything resembling chick lit, but now I have seen the light. There is nothing wrong with reading a little light chick lit every now and again. Actually, it’s kind of a pleasure after a long hard day.

Review:
The Nanny Diaries is written from the perspective of “Nan” the Nanny. Come now, couldn’t you think of something a little less obvious? This of course, is second only to the evil mother, “Mrs. X.” Apparently, the author thought this would be a clever way to make it seem like Mrs. X really existed. I however, would have much rather enjoyed reading about Mrs. Goldingsternman, or Mrs. Heathrightcliff… or whatever silly name. But, Mrs. X? It just irritated me. Nevertheless, aside from the terrible names of the characters, it was a fun easy read. Although I thoroughly enjoyed reminiscing about my own “nanny-days,” I felt there was much lacking in the story. I always hunger for dynamic characters that grow and change and surprise me. These characters were predictable the whole way through. I give this book a 2.5 out of 5, (but I’m still going rent the movie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment