1.24.2010

Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding


My massage therapist, who told me about the dollar bookstore, also told me that she liked reading Bridget Jones’s Diary. So I found it at the aforementioned dollar bookstore and read it over the last two or three weeks. I think I’ll save the sequel for later. I’ve been itching to read The Book Thief. Lately, my nightly reading time has been curtailed by marathons of Weeds. We have watched the first 5 seasons during the last month. But this review isn’t about Weeds its about Bridget.

Review:
Bridget Jones’s Diary turned out to be a clever book. I really liked the unique diary-esque entries. I particularly enjoyed the daily weight, calorie, alcohol, cigarette, lotto ticket totals, because it is something neurotically real. Especially because I had seen both movies before reading the book, I couldn’t help but use Renee’s voice as the narrator in my head. Written with British humor, with a very British style, I really enjoyed the language of the story as something different than my usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment